In May 2020, DID kicked off an effort to bring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to our most at-risk neighbors in Lower Manhattan. In the first month of this program, we have raised $3,950, allowing us to donate:
- 80 care packages to seniors in Two Bridges Tower and Two Bridges Senior Apartments
- 45 care packages to the homeless at Bowery Mission
- 75 care packages to social workers via Sheltering Arms
- 1500 disposable masks to home health workers via Ain't I A Woman
We're also proud to announce that in June, the Village Independent Democrats will be joining us in this effort.
Together, for every $15 raised, we will distribute one care package with a two-week supply of PPE, or 10 disposable masks, 10 pairs of gloves and while supplies last, two bottles of hand sanitizer. These supplies will go to our Lower Manhattan neighbors who are most at risk:
- Essential workers, our local grocery and delivery workers who are in danger everyday
- Seniors, especially those in nursing and group homes
- Public housing families without access to affordable supplies
- Homeless New Yorkers, with nowhere to shelter safely from the virus
- Other high risk groups
Our partner, the COVID Foundation is a New York City based 501(c)(3) nonprofit. It sources supplies direct from FDA-certified manufacturers and the organization is 100% volunteer-run, ensuring that costs stay low and our donations can help as many people as possible. So far the COVID Foundation has raised over $175,000 and distributed 20,000 medical respirators to 25+ hospitals in New York City.
We are working together with the COVID Foundation to bring this much-needed PPE to our local community. We plan to work with other clubs and organizations to extend this initiative across the city.
All donations are tax deductible. We welcome volunteers to help distribute the PPE Care Packages.
If you are in need of supplies, or if you would like to volunteer or partner on this program, please reach out to email@example.com. To get more information, or to make a tax deductible donation, click here.